Tram Trail was the pathway of the old Brookville railroad. Sections closer to Initial Rock still have ties embedded in the ground. Initial rock was a place to wait for the train and became enshrined with initials of those who visited. The tradition continued long after the train quit operating.
History of the Brookville Railroad: The Brookville Railroad Company was incorporated on December 2, 1885 to extend from the Allegheny Valley Railroad to the Carrier, Verstine & Kline sawmill up on North Fork below the cemetery. It took ten years for anything to be built, and in 1895 the tracks reached the sawmill of Hedrick, Matson & Company, near the PA28/US322 bridge over North Fork Creek. On June 11, 1896 the Brookville Railroad was incorporated as a standard gauge railroad to operate from the Hedrick, Matson & Co. sawmill about 13 miles to a tract of timber called the “Hays Lot.” Construction began on July 17, and with 120 men working on it had reached about two miles by August 7. By October 2 another four miles had been completed. By the middle of 1898, the railroad had reached Hays Lot, and with other branches had reached about 20 miles in length. On July 3, 1898, Newton E. Graham and Anthony W. Cook purchased the sawmill and the Brookville Railroad for $50,000. By the middle of 1899 the railroad had constructed another 10 miles of branch lines, bringing its total to about 30 miles. On July 13, 1905, the A. W. Cook sawmill in Brookville shut down. A. W. Cook had employed 800 men in the woods, in his mill, and on the railroad. The Pennsylvania Railroad operated the Brookville Railroad for a few years, but it was soon abandoned and torn up. Researched and written by John R. Keith